1.09.2008

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

I have never really considered myself a poetry fan. I pulled Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening intending to row it in the half week before we officially returned to doing school. Before we finished it had turned into a full week.

Our notebook pages:

An idea I got from the FIAR Archives was to use a coffee filter for making snowflakes.

Top right, the first verse from the poem copied.



For art they drew a picture in black and white, then colored one part in order to draw the focus in, similar to Susan Jeffers' illustrations.



The Layer book was an afterthought, but so easy to pull together. I used these simple instructions and found this worksheet and put them together.


We also included these books during our time this week; 2 poetry books and one about animals in winter. My favorite, however, was the Tasha Tudor illustrated A Child's Garden of Verses.



As we read through the collections of short poems there were a few that I remember my mom quoting at random during my childhood years. I realized that I do enjoy poetry, especially those that are connected with memories. I was glad we had worked to memorize Stopping by Woods. Hearing a poem that is known and loved is like wrapping up in a favorite blanket.





So while neither my children nor I may ever be great poets, we can build memories and enjoy beautiful things together.





Links:


Animal Track Game



For those who still have younger children, I recommend A Child's Garden of Songs.
And where I go for ideas on putting together mini books: Lapbooking on Squidoo

No comments: